Monday, November 8, 2010

Write a poem or song responding to a specific problem/issue


Social Issue- Gangs

A 3 part poem from 3 different points of view.

My Daddy brought me up right
So I’ve got no excuse
Not like the other guys
I was always a good kid though
Good judgment
Handsome
My teachers liked me.
‘Till something set me off
Doesn’t seem so important now,
But I left
Not even a sappy good-bye letter
I’ve disappointed him, I know
We wear all red
It’s his favorite color
We do some bad stuff
We’re all messed up
Sometimes I wish I were home


They jumped me
And I felt alone
Fighting hard doesn’t get you anywhere
That’s a myth.
You won’t regret
Giving them what they want
Because nothing is worth the hurt
They slammed me against the wall,
when I said no
One guy, the leader,
He looked right into my eyes
I looked to his
And I saw a child
His face was sneered.
Then my faced changed
For a second I felt compassion for him.
He saw that
He kicked me.
Took my stuff and left.
That’s it.


It’s wrong
And we sit there and we watch
And we know it’s going on
And we sit there
And we don’t help them
How can we not help them.
They’re young
It doesn’t have to end like this for them
They’ve got a future but we’re the key
What they need is motivation
Something to work towards
Sounds easy
So what are we doing?
nothing
We must be selfish no longer
It’s us they need.
Now more then ever
Help
And soon they will be reasonable.

1 comment:

  1. I love this poem and how you put in different perspectivies!

    ReplyDelete