Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Mother to Son Response: Inspired Poem


I know I’m not one to be talkin’ ‘bout this,
I’ve got it pretty good
Really good
But we all have cracks in our heads
And our hearts
And we can’t hide

It’s nothin’
Really though.
‘Cause all we can do is keep on living
We have to keep livin’ right?

Aw, of course
I want to, I do
No exceptions
But when others don’t I,
well, I can’t bare it.

Sit with their heads down
It’s hard to realize who they are
But I always know
Doing them good wouldn’t hurt nobody
‘Cause they have to realize what they have is a gift.
That’s right,
I’m saying
Life is a
gift

To go on and go on
Now, it’s one of the hardest
Terribly hard
When I’m down I—

Well, like I said, I’m not one to talk

2 comments:

  1. Nice to know someone else did a poetry response too. lol. Anyways, this is really interesting, i really like this "‘Cause all we can do is keep on living
    We have to keep livin’ right?" Kind of reminds me of the saying "forgive and forget"
    Keep moving on no matter what happens, because life is a gift, and you would want to use it in the best way possible

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of sounds like a Bob Dylan song - very lyrical. The language seems appropriate for the poem; I see how it's inspired by the use of dialect in Hughes' poem. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete