Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Research on The Giver

I can't pin point one thing or idea or theme for this book, there are too many, it's too hard. I have so many opinions and thoughts and apparently they are similar to those of Carol Hurst. As I was researching, I came across Carol's website: http://www.carolhurst.com/titles/giver.html and I noticed a lot of what she is saying seems almost identical to what I'm thinking about on my own. While most of it sounds more like an appreciation rather than criticism, I still agree and find Carol Hurst's entry to be fascinating and truthfully, a bit strange to have someone else feel so strongly about something as I do.

Like when Carol Hurst writes, "I had first been drawn to it by the cover of the book, which has to be the most intriguing one I've seen in a long time. To find out that Lois designed it herself and took that wonderful photograph makes it harder to like her. Too much talent, I think, is bad for the soul." I find this paragraph so riveting; I absolutely love it. But it's familiar. It's hard to explain, only I can really understand it. But the way she describes this book could really be my own words. That is why I like her review so much, I like the way I write.


I also like this book, The Giver by Lois Lowry. After re-reading, I was so intrigued to find out where this idea came from. I found it so original and unbelievably risky and because I know I could never think up such a complicated world, I wondered how Lois Lowry did. 


As I researched I came across the website http://teenreads.com/authors/au-lowry-lois.asp and quickly realized that Lois Lowry is a complicated person. Born in Hawaii, she traveled much of the time with her father and finished a part of her schooling in Japan. She was married at 19 and had 4 children before the age of 25. This website doesn't explain why she accepted and went along with all of this, I am still curious. 

I did learn that most of her inspiration comes from what she is interested in most like many other writers but she's not like any one else. She is creative and imaginative which is why she can bring her stories to life and keep the reader wondering. She's done her job, I'm still wondering.

1 comment:

  1. Great response Julia! I loved how you really connected the the research you found, only making this post more personal and interesting. Also, I love the way you end this response (strange, I know). Kind of on a nice, but intriguing note. One thing to maybe think about next time is how you connect your paragraphs, because sometimes I couldn't see how certain things you said clearly related to each other, but I guess sometimes that is ok. :)

    ReplyDelete