Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Poetry Forward


Life is only what it is because of the different ways we interpret it. And these interpretations come from somewhere hidden or not; our unique minds. They come from our experiences and what we decide to absorb from them. Thus becomes poetry. We write what we know and what we’ve felt. This is the exact opposite to what I have done here with these poems. I have not known what it’s like at war. I have not felt the wonder and sadness of losing someone. No, I’ve never even held a gun. But in this case I used other knowledge; experiences from others that I’ve learned and heard. I felt this was important and I needed to get some specific messages across. I’m not breaking the rules because poetry has none.
            War meant something different a long time ago. It used to mean fighting for freedom, fighting for rights. But it’s not the same now.
I’ve been aware and noticed that wars occur since a very young age. My Dad was quick to teach me about peace and how it’s his dream to see it throughout the world. I learned war was very very different from peace. I learned that it caused pain and death worse than any I could imagine. Yet as I grew older and I began to see two sides to everything, I wondered what war’s other side was; to protect our country? Were we ever really in danger from the place we were attacking? Older and older and now I just don’t know. It’s so complicated and intriguing, which is why I had to write about, I had to share.
            So I suppose you could say I did write what I know. I wrote from many sides, I wrote as them and for them. I can’t say I’m 100% accurate; of course I am not these people but after years of learning, struggling to comprehend, I feel I’m close because like me, they are confused and worried and scared for the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment