Sunday, May 15, 2011

Coming of Age Prompt 14

What are some questions and concerns you have about growing up and adulthood?

As an adult, am I going to be expected to do everything right?
I know as a teenager, I've been told this is my time to make mistakes and learn from them. I've been told it's better to make them now when they don't really mean anything. Well I'm worried that I'll make huge mistakes in the future; I know myself and it sounds like something I would do. Will I be frowned upon because I've made a mistake as an adult? Are people going to expect me to be perfect?

Will the choices I make now affect my life in the future?
Also, as a teenager, I am frequently spoken to about the future. Maybe, where I'll go to college, the major financial debt I'll be in after college, or how exactly I'm going to choose the right career. Honestly, I would rather not think about the complications and unfortunate situations that are going to come along as an adult. But it seems I have no choice because I'm told that what I choose now – my high school, my extra curricular activities, even the social class I associate myself with – will lead to what my life will look like later. That seems like a lot of pressure; too much actually.

Some other questions I have are:

  • Is choosing a career supposed to be easy? I mean, are you supposed to know in your heart you're going to be a singer or a lawyer? Are you supposed to have some sort of a connection to a specific job?
  • How will more freedom over the years affect my mind and life? Will I make better choices with more freedom? If I'm giving more freedom now, will I make wiser choices in the future?

1 comment:

  1. These are complicated, mature questions. It does seem like our actions affect our lives and our futures. I think it's important to be as thoughtful and conscious about all of our choices. This isn't easy though. And some choices require more thinking through than others.

    ReplyDelete