Sunday, May 8, 2011

Coming of Age Responses


Childhood- My Gmail Account

Starting when I was 7 years old, I desperately wanted to be a grown up. I felt like one, I basically acted like one­ – very mature is what my parents called it. But it wasn’t enough for me. It annoyed me that people didn’t look at me the way I wanted them too. I didn’t get the privileges and things my older friends did, I couldn’t go out by myself. I was a child I had just started hating it.
So, when I convinced my parents to let me create a Gmail account the summer before 3rd grade, I was ecstatic. This was a big step for me; I was given the permission to chat and send emails to my friends and family, whoever. I could customize my account and truly make it mine.  And for a second, I felt like an adult; I stood a little bit taller.  Although I knew no one would see me differently because of it, I saw myself differently. I now had proof that I was older at heart.
            Now I know this must sound like this is a coming of age moment – I realized something and I changed in some way. Though this moment –Gmail– really represented and defined most of my childhood. See, I never really thought of myself as “little” and when these opportunities for me to get a hold of proof came along, I gladly took them; in this case, my email account.
But even though I honestly believed I was growing up at 7 years old, obviously, I wasn’t. I wish I had known that because for a long time, the back of my mind was filled with thoughts of waiting and wanting to become older and wiser and cooler than I was at that moment. So when I discovered Gmail, it made me feel all of those things and I loved it.  I know it’s ridiculous to think that a website could affect me so greatly but it did and that’s why it’s the best artifact I could think of to symbolize one of the most important parts of my childhood.






Coming of Age- my iPod

I’ve never felt like I’ve needed to escape
That is until now
I’ve never needed so much to forget
Some unfortunate incidents
Even only for a few beautiful minutes
If that’s what being older brings
I regret wanting it so deeply
I did, didn’t I?
I wanted it more than anything.
Now I’m there
And the freedom’s great
I can do anything and I love it

But there are complications,
Always complications.
A feeling I can’t seem to shake

So,
I blast my iPod until I can’t hear
Anything
Until my senses are numb
and the song is my soundtrack and
I pretend for a while
that everything about the world
is perfect.
I turn the volume up because I now know
That it isn’t.
That’s really
Growing
up




No comments:

Post a Comment